Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Cracks in the World Wide Web

By now, everyone knows this earthquake off Taiwan broke close to a dozen of the international underseas cables that the internet travels on. It has severely disrupted service in Taiwan, Hong Kong, China, South Korea, Malaysia and Japan. They said it will take three weeks to fully fix it because "crews fixing the cables would have to pull them up and transfer them to a ship for repair." It fucking sucks, cause I can't access any Google sites, including Gmail. Wikipedia is really shaky. And I definitely can't log into Blogspot. I'm forced to use this truncated version of the internet, filtered only through Yahoo's Hong Kong page. It fucking blows hard. I would blog about this experience, no doubt taking the line that indeed, yes, the internet is basically a series of tubes, yadda yadda, vindicated. But I can't. I feel completely cut off. Hopefully one good soul will receive the letter in a bottle I tossed into the bay this morning and make this posting on my blog by tonight. Vindicated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home