Sunday, February 25, 2007

He's Watching You










By now, every New Yorker has seen this ad. It's all over the subways. Now, I'm all for organ donating. Let me be the first to say, when I die, ladies and gentlemen, you may grab at every last morsel and sinew off my cold, dead body. Please, dig in. But would I really want my face plastered all over the city alongside an advertisement that tells exactly which parts of my body were extracted? I don't know. Ask me when I die. But there's a bigger question: who has Jerry Orbach's eyes? Does the person who has his eyes know? Did the surgeon who put them in tell the recipient to be extra careful because he was getting a celebrity's eyes? I thought this whole business was anonymous. I thought that organs were taken, put in a little anonymous bin, and doled out accordingly. Like I said, my body is an open buffet once I die, but it would be terrible if you, dear reader, had to read on a subway advertisement one day: "That guy who was always vindicated gave his heart and soul to being vindicated, but the greatest gift he gave was that of his hearty ball sac to one lucky New Yorker." I'd much rather just be vindicated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I want to point out that the ad says he gave two people the gift of sight, meaning there are two lucky people that get a celebrity's eye, making it all the creepier.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just had another thought. Do you remember that movie, The Eye? They originally translated it as My Left Eye Sees Ghost. I think the sequel should be about the recipients of Jerry Orbach's eyes, called My Left Eye Sees Rape Victims.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home